Friday 20 June 2014

Character development 2

During our BTEC level three rehearsals I have witnessed the development in my characters arrogant personality and argumentative nature; also I have found that the elements added to my character so far have helped achieve this. Our tutor offered again to watch our performance and to give feedback; after we had performed the extract with the added page he helps helped with a particular part of the performance we were struggling with, in this part of the performance I am meant through my co performer “Ryan” into to my other co performer “Danielle”, in order to convey my characters and cliffs characters comical relationship my tutor suggested I lifted “Ryan” up an swung him around before throwing him. In our rehearsals I worked on this element and other ways I could show a clear connection with “Ryan” I plan to add physical friend touches such as placing my hand on his shoulder and reacting with a smile to what he says. In rehearsals I also used Stanislavsky’s “magic if” technique to draw believable emotion, I imagined how I would react if I was in Jimmy Porters position and used it with particularly emotional parts of our extract, for example I imagined what it would be like to be in a lifeless marriage with a woman I loved but could not show it and what it would be like loose her and be with someone else. I also asked myself similar questions during the scene such as how would I react if somebody had turned my music off, how would I react if I was fishing for a reaction and how I would act if I had harmed somebody I loved, by asking myself these questions and performing how I would respond in real life I am able to produce identical reactions during the performance. For Example If I had harmed someone that I love I would feel an undeniable disappointment in myself so when I channelled this emotion into the character of jimmy porter my reactions became more believable, I performed actions that I would do in real life such as taking a step back in shock and when my co performer Danielle throws a jacket at my character I throw it at the floor with anger. My character needs to have the highest status at all times during this performance, to make sure that this is achieved I will use my proxemics awareness to covey this by standing in the middle and front of the stage with a strong presence and standing over or intimidatingly close to my co actors for example when I say the line “I had a flat underneath a couple of girls once, you heard every dam word those bastards did” I stood in the middle of the stage glaring at cliff and Alison’s characters to covey frustration towards people that don’t respect his right to peace and quiet. Jimmy Porter is an educated individual that is massively over qualified for his job witch is to be the owner of a sweet shop, to convey this I have decided to portray Jimmy with good diction and correct pronunciation of words.

1 comment: