Saturday 21 June 2014

charecter development 4


So far every element I have added to my character has been successful, in the final stages of my rehearsal process I worked to find out characters objectives, In this extract my take is that my characters main objective is to gain a reaction of Alison and therefor  showing her who is in charge to gain control of the situation. Other objectives in the scene include dropping a jacket on the floor, when I do this my goal is achieved, my character also intentionally harms Alison by throwing cliff into her which the scripted confirms he carried out this action deliberately, when I do this another of my goals has been achieved. By achieving these goals not only do they convey Jimmy’s arrogant personality, but they also enable me to physically do what my character wants to do. In my extract my character is able to complete his objective with makes his offensive and angry and leads to him having an outburst.

There is a part in the extract where jimmy hits his peak of irritation and starts to scream at church bells, this shows us just how much Jimmy can be wound up by the noise around him, the church bells also convey jimmy’s lack of control not only in this situation but in his own life because like the church bells Jimmy had no control over the death over the death of his father or his working class background and so in this part of the background jimmy tries fight a battle that can’t be won as he tries to silence the church bells, to portray this I plan use I pained and frustrated expression on my face by widening my eyes and clenching my jaw as well as clenching my fists when I say the line “Wrap it up, will you” stop ringing those bells! There’s somebody going crazy in here I don’t want to hear them!”

At the beginning when my co performer Danielle turns off my characters music, my character must deliver a look to convey his irritation regarding his wife’s action, this look consists of me rolling my eyes and me sighing because my character would expect this from a woman. Also when Alison says “well, Im very sorry, but I can’t just stop everything because you want to listen to music” to witch my character replies with the line “why not?” as I say this line I shrug my shoulders and I say it casually to suggest that so should be able to stop everything she’s doing to benefit my character, this conveys Jimmy’s disrespect for his wife and also for anybody he lives with.    
By using completed units during my performance I found it easier to understand and follow the step by step development process of my character. For example one of my units included me gently dropping my prop newspaper on the floor and by doing this it lead me on to my main objective which was to gain a reaction because when I drop this newspaper it is to show that my character was ready to start his offensive rant and to show that my character at this particular moment is unable to hold back his opinions. Also my character at the end of my performance drops a prop jacket on the floor with leads my character on to his last objective witch was to leave the stage, by doing this Jimmy is attempting to show a lack of interest because his wife Alison rejects his apology, jimmy at this moments hide his how he really feels which is disappoint in himself and regret for his actions.

1 comment:

  1. You are developing a good understanding of how a scene can be broken down into Units in order to help the actor create realistic actions.

    ReplyDelete